How Social Services Can Help You

Need help with paying for care?  Complete our enquiry form for a free, no obligation, initial consultation.

The Social Services department at your local authority is there to help you, whether or not you need Local Authority assistance with your care funding.  If you are privately funded you may find a reluctance to help at some authorities but persevere, the information they can give you can be valuable.

Remember, your social worker is a professional who has significant experience of people in a similar situation to your own.

The Section 47 Assessment

This is the first step to choosing and funding your care, whether or not you need local authority funding.

This will set you off in the right direction with choosing your care.  The name relates to Section 47 of the National Health Service and Community Care Act 1990 and states that if it appears to the local authority that a person for whom they may provide or arrange the provision of community care services might need such services they are to assess the needs of that person.

How Social Services Can Help You
Essentially this means that your needs will be assessed and you will be advised of the type of care that Social Services believe will be appropriate and any state help or benefits that may be available.

The assessment also opens a file at Social Services, which may be useful if you need their help or local authority funding in the future.

The assessment may suggest ways of organising yourself so that a move to a care home can be avoided.  the assessment should cover:

  • ~ Support for you in your own home including day care, live-in care, respite care and the provision of equipment or adaptations to your home to allow you to remain there.
  • ~ A move to more suitable accommodation, such as sheltered housing.
  • ~ A move to another private household, such as living with relatives.
  • ~ Residential or nursing care.
  • ~ Long stay care in hospital

You can apply for an assessment by approaching your local authority directly (find their contact details on their website), through your GP or another health professional that you deal with.

The local authority has a duty of care to provide an assessment when it appears that someone may be in need of community care services that they can provide.

The Means Test

or financial assessment.

If you think you have less than £23,250 (excluding the value of your home - see below) you should ask Social Services for a means test.  You will normally be visited by a Social Worker or a Financial Officer from your local authority, who will ask about your income, savings and investments and will usually want to see proof of what you own.

Using the information you give, the value of your assets will be assessed to see whether you qualify for local authority care funding, or the twelve week property disregard (below).  There is more detail about local authority funding on our state benefits page.

The Means Test and Your Property

In some situations your property may be excluded from the means test.  These are usually:

  1. 1. If your spouse or civil partner will continue to live there, regardless of their age.
  2. 2. If a relative aged over 60 will continue to live in the property
  3. 3. When an incapacitated relative still lives in the property
  4. 4. Where there is a child under 16 living in the property and you are legally responsible for them.
  5. 5. When you intend to receive care in the property.

The Twelve Week Property Disregard and the Deferred Payments Scheme

This is described in greater detail on our state benefits page.  The Section 47 assessment is the gateway to this benefit.  Only if you are assessed as needing care will the local authority provide this benefit.

Where would you like to go now?

State benefits for people in care

Care options

Care Funding

Care Funding Report

We trust that you will find useful and informative. We have made every effort to ensure that the information contained is clear, up to date and accurate. However, nothing on this site should be relied upon when making care or financial decisions, nor should anything on this site be regarded as financial advice. Our care fees planning service can provide you with specific help and specialist, care based, independent financial advice. By proceeding through this site you accept that, the Care Fees Advice Agency and Financial Care Consultants Limited cannot be held responsible for any actions you take as a result of the information held on All information given relates to England. Whilst most of the principles remain the same, some benefits and benefit levels are different in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. We are happy to provide details for these regions on request.

Please report any broken links to - help with paying for care, immediate care plans, care home fees, nursing home fees and all aspects of meeting the cost of long term care.

The Care Fees Advice Agency is a trading style of Financial Care Consultants Limited. Registered Address: 135 Merchants Quay, Salford Quays, Manchester M50 3XQ. Authorised and Regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Our FCA registration number is 530883 and you can confirm our authorisation by checking the FSA register.


© 2016 | XML Sitemap | site by: wbd web design sussex